Tuesday 9 April 2013

They say that you can't get everything that you want

Oh shit. Oh fucking shit. Just fuck.



I am fucking upset right now.

So Canada and the USA went at it with one another today for the gold medal in the IIHF Women's World Hockey Championship. The Americans outskated, outchecked, outshot and eventually outscored us to win the gold medal. They're not better than us, but they were the better team tonight, as Canada had some disciplinary issues and could not generate enough offensive pressure against goaltender Jessie Vetter. This is the first game we've lost all tournament, and it hurts. It fucking hurts.

This is what happens when your national identity is so tied to a single sport. When we lose, it affects both players and fans way more than it should. It's a learned emotion. I swear human beings aren't naturally capable of feeling this way unless they were born in Canada and grew up with this sport. I'm drowning all these unnatural feelings with vodka right now. It's not working yet but I have faith it will settle eventually and I will stop crying on the inside.

It's just that these girls mean a lot to me. I grew up watching some of these women play, women like Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford and Caroline Ouellette and Gillian Apps. I've watched them overcome everything to be the kinds of players they are, and to advance the sport of women's hockey, which does not get the credit it deserves and needs. It fucking sucks to watch your heroes upset and disappointed in themselves, especially when you're still incredibly proud of them, whether they win or lose. 

I just can't watch girls cry. I can't. I'm like that awkward boy who grabs at straws and doesn't know how to react when a girl starts getting emotional. And it's not because I myself am a heartless person. It's because I'm probably just as sad and emotional and watching her cry is going to make me cry too.

Watching Canadian women lose at hockey is really heartbreaking, because they don't have poker faces. They show just how dismayed they are. And eventually, as hard as you try, you can't hide your anguish either. It's completely ridiculous when you think of it, because this is just a sport like any other. But yeah, when this team is legendary to you, and you're totally in love with them, you can't help but feel a little unwanted empathy sometimes. 

Hence the need for vodka afterwards. But whatever. Sochi is next year. It's all about looking ahead, targeting weak points, being disciplined in our play, recognizing the potential in our lines and aiming high.

All in all, it was a fantastic tournament. Russia won the bronze, a milestone for them and a great lead-up to the Olympics next year. With Alexei Yashin on their management, it's really nice to see them advancing in this sport. The United States' Amanda Kessel was a total star. I wish people would stop comparing her to her brother, because she is (sorry Phil) a way better player than he is. Jayna Hefford proved that she's in this sport for the long haul, and that her best game is yet to come. Marie-Philip Poulin is just set on becoming one of the best hockey players in the history of the sport, and I seriously think that she is the key to Canada's game in the future. Canada has some great new strengths too, including Brianne Jenner, an unstoppable powerhouse who will be one to watch in the coming years, as well as Bailey Bram, who has amazing speed and great chemistry playing on a line with Hayley Wickenheiser.

I don't know what to do with myself now that the tournament is over. The week went by crazy fast and it's going to take some time adjusting to not seeing games everyday. 

I seriously need to fix my crush on Gillian Apps though. For real. I mean, I could feel myself blushing profusely every time she stepped on the ice. And every time she body-checked someone, I was left wishing I was that person she body-checked. Man, if she ever injured me on the ice and put me in hospital, I would probably be the happiest person on the planet.

And there's definitely something wrong with that.

Her forechecking skills are just so fucking hot. And she in general is too. 

It actually really blows because unless I move to a province other than British Columbia, I won't actually get to see these women play until the Winter Olympics, which is FUCKING NEXT YEAR. 

Now that, might be the most miserable thing about this entire situation. 

And the reason why I am currently drunk as I write this. 

And listening to a Family of the Year album for the third straight time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment