Saturday 10 March 2012

ever wonder?

The Canucks for Kids Fund Telethon happened yesterday during the game versus the Jets. Some of the stories told were incredibly sad yet inspirational and amazing. You think about all these kids and their parents who are going through so much and yet are able to find a great amount of strength. They still have this lust for life that is uplifting and very encouraging. Sometimes I hear the stories of these people and I truly believe that they encompass the meaning of life and its simplicity. It's not some great philosophical question that needs to be answered. The meaning of life is to stop searching for the meaning of life and to just be.

One of the things that came up during the telethon was the promotion of mindcheck.ca, a website created by various mental health services and organizations in BC including BC Children's Hospital to bring awareness to mental illness and depression. Many people often dismiss depression as an illusion, a non-existent "sickness" that does not require medication or attention. It's a silent disease that often carries no visible symptoms, but leads to fatal consequences.


Today, I went to a funeral for a friend who suffered from this. No one knew what he was going through - he had masked it so well, yet it ultimately took his life in the end. He was 25, he would have been 26 this April. He died nearly two weeks ago, and I still can't stop thinking about him. He was a beautiful boy who loved life and people. He had a passion for the environment and for animals. He had travelled the world, and oftentimes his conversations would always lead to talk of his future aspirations of working in foreign countries and helping those who live there. When I first met him, it was his level of experience and selflessness that struck me, as well as his intellect and sense of humour. I keep thinking about his last moments, how he must have felt the day he did it, and I'm at a loss. A couple days ago, my friends and I passed by the place he died. It happened by accident. We were coming home from the mountain - my friend missed a turn and we ended up exactly where I didn't want to be. There was silence from all of us. We didn't acknowledge it, but we knew that we were all thinking the same thing. We didn't want to be here. We should have paid more attention to the roads before. I wanted to close my eyes. I couldn't. The place was so beautiful and as I looked at it, I wished that I had been there with him -  wishing somehow that one of us, that anyone, could have stopped him from doing what he did.


mindcheck.ca was inspired by Rick Rypien, an NHL hockey player for the Vancouver Canucks who had suffered from depression for over a decade, something that eventually lead to his suicide at the age of 27. We all miss him dearly. His career was fulfilling, one of a very talented athlete with a passion for the game and an enduring love for his teammates. His life has now inspired greater awareness of mental health in the Lower Mainland, and he remains an encouraging symbol for the city and its sport. 


Every mind and body is precious to this world. Check yourself and the people you love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment