Tuesday 21 February 2012

What do you do with a B.A. in English?

So I taught my first full day of high school today. It was quite possibly the scariest thing I have ever put myself through and I never want to do it again.


Until I teach again tomorrow, that is.


Biggest eye-opener of the day: 
Talking to a grade 12 student about college and thinking, "Wow, this kid's mature for his age" before remembering that this kid isn't that much younger than me. 

Interesting observation:
Seeing a dumpster jumper hop enthusiastically into a large garbage bin on school grounds. 

Coolest thing about today:
Having students recognize me in the hallways. I can't believe the memories they have. I barely remember faces I've only seen a couple times.  

Reality check of the day:
Finding out that the skunk smell around the school is the smell of people preparing cocaine by school grounds the night before. Oh the joys of living in this lovely suburban city. 

Strangest thing about today: 
Getting flirted with by male and female teachers in the copy room. I thought that kind of stuff only happened in movies.


I have a feeling that becoming a teacher is all about discovering every single day that your students are smarter than you are.


I think I'm OK with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment